This page is a guide to using moxa sticks for turning breech babies for those who have already seen an acupuncturist.
DO NOT DO THIS TREATMENT UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN PROFESSIONALLY ADVISED FIRST AS THERE ARE CONTRAINDICATIONS.
- Light the moxa stick using a gas hob (quickest method) or a candle. The smokeless moxa sticks take a little time to catch and a lighter may end up burning you.
- Aim the lit end of the stick 2-3cm width away from BL67 (ie the outside corner of the nail on the little toe).
- You can either light two and treat bilaterally, or use one stick and heat alternate sides.
- You need to heat each point for as least 10 minutes. So either 1 x 20 minute session, alternating sides, or 1 x 10 minute session using bilaterally. The optimum time for this treatment is between 5pm and 7pm, but if this isn't possible then anytime in the evening is best.
- Tap the ash from the sticks frequently to avoid burns.
- If the point feels too warm, simply move the stick away for a few seconds and then 'peck' it back into the position.
- When the treatment is finished extinguish the sticks in a jar that has been filled with salt up to about 3cm. Keep the sticks in the glass jar until you are ready for the next treatment,
- This protocol is to be followed for 10 days. If the baby turns within this time, continue the treatment but you only need to do 10 minutes a day on each point.
- Remember - never touch your skin with a lit moxa stick. It will burn you!